Talk through the following questions. Also, it might help with vulnerability to share your story with them. Return to Discipleship Home for more resources.
1. What would you say discipleship is?
– Good to see the student’s needs, but also to see if their expectations are biblical and realistic.
Biblical examples to talk about:
o Jesus and His disciples (Throughout the Gospels): Jesus modeled ministry, did it with them, and sent them out to do it on their own.
o Barnabas & Paul
o Paul & Timothy
2. What are one or two areas that you would like to see growth in this semester?
3. What are one or two things to which you would like me to keep you accountable?
– Use the accountability questions page for help (these are tough questions, but very important things for us to make sure we are helping students think about)
– For some questions, it may be good to ask 1 on 1 (for those doing group discipleship)
4. Who would you, by faith, like to take steps towards sharing the Gospel with this semester?
5. Look over the Discipleship Covenant and each of you sign 2 copies (one for each to keep) if you both want to pursue further discipleship relationship.
* Review question #3 & #4 of this “First Meeting” page often during future appointments.